Sunday, March 13, 2011

March 14, 2011

I have a very brief window of opportunity to post to the blog. We have not had Internet for the past few days. We are on the Pandow Cruise at the moment. We left Saigon on Saturday and have been traveling up the Mekong River. When I have a better Internet connection I wil post some pictures of me drinking snake wine, something I would not endorse. This morning we were in a fishing town that ship Talapia fish around the world. The people live on the river, their houses are on stilts and the only way to shore is via boat (sampan). They keep the fish in large traps under their home (approximately 20 metres by 60 meters). They keep approximately 1,500 fish at a time. They are loaded into large river boats with holes in the side. As the fish are loaded the boat sinks until just the side boards are above the water level and then the fish are transported live to Saigon for processing.

We have received a few emails from people concerned about our safety and the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. We fortunately had left Japan a few days before the event and were very grateful that I had not occurred while we were there.

We are approaching the Cambodian border crossing where we will pass through Vietnamese border guards and then Cambodian border guards, the staff on the ship tells us this could take as long as three hours depending on the mood of the guards.

I will post another entry as soon as I am able.

No comments:

Post a Comment